15/02/2014

Sex, Marriage, Fairytales

thumbnail-7Jefferson Bethke - Sex, Marriage, Fairytales || Spoken Word – Lyrics


Sex Marriage and Fairytales Words: When a video like this comes out many people will want to be able to read and evaluate the words. Here are the words to Jefferson Bethke’s new spoken word poem called, Sex, Marriage, &  Fairytales.
Disney Movies and Chick Flicks they put us in a weird position,
They’ve distorted our reality because we forget they are actually fiction.
Because in marriage we either get better or bitter, either joy or remorses,
What we’re doing isn’t working just look at the rate of the divorces.
So how’s your marriage? I mean common let’s be honest,
It seams more like a prison than the paradise they were promised.
We thought marriage was supposed to fulfil us and make us happy not lonely,
But the truth is God’s main purpose is making you holy.
You say, no one told me, it feels so odd,
Where dating feels like a vacation, while marriage feels like a job.
Yet the secret of joy if we just pull back the façade,
is realising most problems arise when we elevate our spouse to God.
Without knowing it we’ve fulfilled Romans 1:25,
By our actions exchanging truth about God for a lie.
We exchanged God for lesser created things,
It’s like a husband trading his wife for a 2D image on a screen.
Hoping it will set us free just to find out in the fumes we’re chocking,
Because if your marriage rests on anything but Jesus it’s resting on something broken.
Yet guys continually sacrifice their marriage on the alter of sex and lust,
I mean if our dollars were honest they’d say “In Pleasure We Trust”.
So men grow up, put down the controller,
How bout you lead her with grace instead of trying to control her.
Now I’ve never been married but I’m a product of one that was non existent,
So don’t tell me I don’t understand the pain, Don’t tell me I don’t get it.
So to the singles, become friends first before you ever become lovers,
Peruse Jesus as your foundation, before you get under the covers.
Because believe me a strong friendship before marriage will make a good marriage after,
Marriage isn’t just sex, it’s converstation and laughter.
I mean some spouses barely even like each other and the marriage seams like a dead end,
You might share a check-book and house but are you actually friends?
I mean if marriage isn’t a commitment then what’s the point of the vows we say,
Till death do us part really means until the feelings go away.
Like I’ll stay with him, but only until it gets tough and my love shifts,
But I say imagine if a parent took that perspective with their kids.
Can’t you see it, the minute the kid spills something on the floor,
the mom saying forget it, I don’t even love you any-more.
No it’s just like marriage to last you need the strength from above,
Because it’s not the love that sustains the promise, it’s the promise that sustains the love.
I mean think about it, out of anyone who has actually had the right to leave,
God had every reason in the world but he came for you and me.
And on the cross he paid it all took our shame and set us free,
when He could have called down legions of angels, He chose to stay on that tree.
From the cross he looks at you in the eye and says I’m taking this for my bride,
When you trust in Me, you no longer have to hide.
Because of Me it is finished, you have been made new,
You’re spotless you’re blameless there’s no sin in you.
Because His death was a proposal he wanted you no matter the cost,
Where some guys propose on a knee, Jesus proposed on a cross.
So read Ephesians 5 whether husband or wife,
wife honor your husbands, husbands give up your life.
Just like Jesus gave Himself up for His bride the church,
So men lead by serving, by putting her first.
So die to self put your flesh on a life sentence,
Because you don’t fall out of love, as much as you fall out of Repentance.

No comments: