27/01/2013

Life together

I thought that I'd share with you some pictures. More snow again today as about an inch according to my hubby fell last night. The birds love to come and pick at the seeds on the ground. I had a lazy morning, reading 1 Samuel: 12. After Saul is confirmed as a King, Samuel addresses Israel. In my Scriptures Union notes, I read: In a blunt turn of phrase, 'Do not turn away after useless idols..can do you no good, nor can they rescue you'  v.  21.  In the past, I have pondered over this request and wondered why on earth they would have wanted a 'human' king instead of the Lord himself. I like to see that ' despite their sin, the Lord remains bound to this people 'for the sake of his great name'. What do you think of this request? Steve and I kept on watching the birds and I enjoyed tasting the cranberry jam he made back in November. I also read a bit more of Life together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I found the first chapter about community so revealing. I quote: Because God has already laid the only foundation of our fellowship, because God has bound us together in one body with other Christians in Jesus Christ, long before we entered into common life with them, we enter that common life not as demanders but as thankful recipients. Further on, he says: 'Even when sin and misunderstanding burdens the communal life, is not the sinning brother still a brother, with whom I, too stand under the Word of Christ.' Forgiveness is the key word.  


Later on we went to Stone and had a walk by the canal. Quite a few ducks were looking for food there and Steven took a photo of an unusual bird with a yellow back, however I have forgotten its name! How was your Saturday? Yours in Christ. 

No comments: