14/02/2012

The Love of the Spirit

For the past weeks, I have been reading The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit by Reuben Archer Torrey and I do recommend it. 


If you have Kindle on your PC, go to Amazone.co.uk and you can download that book in less than 5 minutes. 


I like very much Torrey's style as it is concise, to the point and very clear. 

I can think of no thought more humbling or more overwhelming than the thought that a person of Divine majesty and glory (the Holy Spirit)dwells in my heart and is ready to use even me.
What are the distinctive characteristics, or marks, of personality? Knowledge, feeling or emotion, and will. Any entity that thinks and feels and wills is a person. 

If we read 1 Corinthians 2: 10-11, we are taught that the Holy Spirit is a Being who knows the truth.


In 1 Corinthians 12:11, we read, “But all these are the work of one and
the same Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will.”
Here will is ascribed to the Spirit and we are taught that the Holy
Spirit is not a power that we get hold of and use according to our
will but a Person of sovereign majesty, who uses us according
to His will.
Further on, R. Torrey tells us more about the personality of the Holy Spirit

In Romans 15:30, Paul says “Now I urge you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me.” Here we have “love” ascribed to the
Holy Spirit. The reader would do well to stop and ponder those 
five words, “the love of the Spirit.” We dwell often upon the
love of God the Father. It is the subject of our daily and constant
thought. We dwell often upon the love of Jesus Christ the Son.
Who would think of calling himself a Christian who passed a
day without meditating on the love of his Saviour, but how often
have we meditated upon “the love of the Spirit”?

Have you already read that book or are you acquainted with R.A. Torrey's books, let us know please. 
Steven and I are about to go out to diner in an Indian restaurant in Stone, the Crown of India, so to all my blogger and non-blogger friends, have a blessed Valentine evening. Your sister in Christ.



No comments: