07/06/2010

Still bothered about the meaning of your LIFE ? ring your VICAR and/or discover Alpha


You must have heard of Bear Grylls. Here is a snippet of the biography you can find on his personal website. Bear is a man who has always loved adventure. After breaking his back in three places in a parachuting accident, he fought his way to recovery, and two years later entered the Guinness Book of Records as the youngest Briton to climb Mount Everest, aged only 23. He has since led ground-breaking expeditions across the world.
But for Bear, it is not just about pushing his limits. It's about overcoming challenges, and living your dreams. This belief, and Bear's gift for communication, have led him to become a world class motivational speakerauthor and tv host...
You work a lot as a motivational speaker. What puts the grrr in Grylls? 
My Christian faith is a real backbone and I am no longer scared to say that I depend on it. I read a lovely quote a few days ago: “There is no such thing as an atheist on the Arctic Ocean.” That’s true.
Of his faith, Bear says: ‘Life is sometimes quite fluffy and when everything’s going well we don’t necessarily need our faith... but I’ve learned over the years that my Christian faith has been such a backbone through so many difficult times.
‘My faith is quite simple in the sense that for me Christianity is about being held; it’s about being forgiven; it’s about being loved; and it’s about being strengthened. I’m no longer afraid to say that in the way I was, maybe, however many years ago.
He spoke about going on an Alpha course with his wife Shara at Holy Trinity Brompton. He said, ‘It was lovely to be able to come and do it in a very non-pressured and unjudgemental and very honest environment, which I think you know is what you guys do here.
What about you, have you ever been to an alpha course ?  I have kept very fond memories of mine. Let me know what you think about it. Blessings Nicky 

2 comments:

Amy said...

I just found your blog today, and I saw your post about Alpha. I was part of an Alpha class about 10 years ago. Actually, it was the first small group I was ever a part of. I have such fond memories of that group! My life started to change with being a part of that group, and I gave my life to Christ a few months later! I was raised going to church, but I never had a personal relationship with Jesus until realizing that I needed one while going through those classes. Praise God!

Amrita said...

Good to hear this young man 's testimony, specially what he says about faith being the backbone of life not a crutch.