04/10/2011

Crisis in self-esteem

I have just listened to an interview of the journalist Tanith Carey on Premier Christian Radio thus discovering her book 'Where has my little girl gone? 
She is covering a whole range of issues in her book, i.e. Helping girls fight back against the desire to be thin and the pressure to buy, How to teach your daughter to feel good about herself, Build your daughter's self-esteem so she is strong enough to deal with the pressure to behave older than her years..
A teacher in  her daughter's primary school confided that he was shocked that a little boy had spent an hour applying gel in his hair and thus missing on breakfast. 
Tanith Carey insisted that mothers must be very careful about what they say in front of their children..i.e my bum is too big or 'I'm going on a diet' because children understand much more than you think and will check their body in the mirror .. 
There is a big increase of beauty pageants in the states..
Tanith who spent a whole day in a cosmetic surgery clinic was surprised to see that all the people there were under 25 y.o. and carried a list of items to be done. She realised what happened, their parents had already paid for their older sisters..in a society where youngsters cannot find a deposit for a house, parents were paying for these. .what they look like is not the most important thing..
Parents don't know where to turn to! With this book, this a call to parents to resist peer pressure..Tanith's wish is to empower parents take steps towards building their daughters self-esteem, i.e. what to say when your daughter wants an inappropriate t-shirt. 
Just letting you know that if you have not listened to Premier Christian Radio yet, do so, as it is so enjoyable, and personally I find it to be a blessing. N

2 comments:

Grammyof13 said...

Nicky, I am so sorry to say, I have not visited you in awhile, but I am so glad I took time to day to renew ole acquaintenances. Your blog is so precious, and uplifting. (all of them really). You seem to really be connected to our Lord and Savior and that blesse me.

Wondered if you had read on my blog that I have my first book published this year. (A Forgiving Journey) is just what it says. An autobiography/lesson book of sorts.
Would love for you to read it and give me feed back. It is listed on Amazon and Publish America as "The Broken Clock" (a forgiving journey) by Doris Tanner Thompson. I promise I will be back again soon. Blessings and keep upthe discipleship.

Grammyof14

N Abram said...

Hi Grammyof14, nice to hear from you and congratulations for your book! I will look for it! Speak to you soon. God bless.